Saturday, August 18, 2007

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Do you know? Are you already doing what you want to be doing? Or are you like me and you don't have a clue what you should be. I would love to know what I could be good at. I'm strong in math and yet when I look at careers in that field, I think they would make me go mad. SLOWLY. I like working on computers, but I don't want to sit at one all day. I think I could be a great teacher, but the pay just totally sucks in NC. And I really hate to admit that money would have a factor in what I do, but damn it. I don't want to work my ass off and get paid change. I'm considering something in the health field right now. Both Physical therapy and diet/nutrition consultant sound like good possibilities. I want to have a career that I feel proud of. I want to help people. I don't want to be behind a desk all day. But most importantly, I want to be happy and look forward to work. After all, I will be giving up being a homemaker to do this.

How did you figure out what you wanted to be? Was it something you knew from an early age? I always thought I would end up in the computer programming field. And in fact was only 3 semesters from a BS degree when I became pregnant with my 1st. Now almost 8 years later, I think that I could not stand doing programming all day. But at the time, I was SURE that was the best choice for me. However, that was before I had kids and responsibilities that were far more important than just myself or money.

I'm taking some time to go by the library and check out some books on career & personality tests that may help me decide what will be a good fit for me. I'm really hoping that this will give me some good feedback to work with. I am quite literally scared to death to make a wrong decision. I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing something that I hate. Again, I want to be happy.

I'll update soon about what choices I'm going to go for!

No comments: